Author Topic: Public Documents: Urantia Foundation v. Robert Burton  (Read 1253 times)

andi

• View Profile
Public Documents: Urantia Foundation v. Robert Burton
« on: December 03, 2016, 04:12:55 PM »
To All:

I must say these are very informative court documents involving The Urantia Foundation v. Robert Burton and Robert Burton is the defendant in all cases.  For myself, with these public documents it is difficult to absorb all this in one reading but is it ever an eye opener.  I believe and present this and the last threads as evidence into the true nature of the Urantia Foundation.  Members, when Ron talks about going to court with the Urantia Foundation don't take it lightly.  Cunning, wealthy beasts they appear and no virgins in the arena of judiciary law.  

Of particular interests to me are the interrogatories (of which are 58 total) at the bottom of these case papers.  To me these are very telling of the Urantia Foundation and its maligned egoist mindset.  In a nutshell, because I haven't ad time to find the complete story, Robert Burton sought a more affordable Urantia Book and went against Urantia Foundation with its considerable wealth from sales.  I didn't realize that back in the 1970's to recent times if you gave a speech, presentation, heck even quoting from The Urantia Book had to be either approved or disapproved by the Urantia Foundation Board of Trustees itself.  

Gosh it's exhausting to see what a blight the Urantia Foundation really is.  Anyone hear of Personality Pride?  I hope in some small measure this post and my prior post  "A Small Window into The Battles of The Urantia Book"  opens some eyes for what our Magisterial Sons Mission has to achieve on all fronts.  I'm in for the duration!  Just had a thought that if that dark one was still around he'd be all up in my business but he's not.

-Andy

PS., Ron you could probably talk for hours about this material.  Please don't exhaust yourself but I for one would like to hear some of it with from you and our Celestial Family in the Heavens. I for one had no idea of all this historical drama that continues to unfold.  

Here is the link to all the public documents.  It's a big list (20,570 words) of public documents all involving the Urantia Foundation v. Robert Burton.  Below is the first case listed.  Click the link below for full material.  
Click link =>  http://urantia-book.org/archive/history/doc284.htm

*Attention Ron*  If this is still to big a post I'm more than happy to shorten it.

Public Documents of the Burton Case

Filed June 6, 1975

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF MICHIGAN SOUTHERN DIVISION

THE Urantia FOUNDATION, an Illinois foundation,

Plaintiff,

vs.

ROBERT BURTON,

Defendant.

Civil Action No. K75-255 Ca 4
   Copyright Infringement and Unfair Competition

C O M P L A I N T

Now comes THE Urantia FOUNDATION, Plaintiff herein, and for its Complaint against Defendant ROBERT BURTON, states:

1. The Urantia Foundation, Plaintiff herein, is, and was at all times material hereto, an educational foundation, created by Declaration of Trust, and is a resident of the State of Illinois, having its office and principle place of business at 533 Diversey Parkway, Chicago, Illinois.

2. Plaintiff is informed and believes, and on information and belief alleges, that Defendant, Robert Burton, is an individual and a resident of the State of Michigan, County of St. Joseph, residing at R3 Coon Hollow Road, Three Rivers, Michigan.

3. (a) This is an action for infringement of Plaintiff's copyright in "THE Urantia BOOK" and arises under the Copyright Laws of the United States, Title 17 U.S.C. §101.

(b) The jurisdiction of this Court for copyright infringement is based upon Title 28 U.S.C. §1338.

4.(a) This is, also, an action for unfair competition.

(b) The jurisdiction of this Court for unfair competition is based upon the fact that this is an action for unfair competition which is joined with substantial and related claims for copyright infringement under the Copyright Laws of the United States as provided for in §1338 (b), Title 28 U.S.C.

5. Plaintiff is engaged in furnishing to the general public, educational goods and services, including, without limitation, a full length, original book entitled "THE Urantia BOOK," created and written prior to December 1955, and which comprises 196 separate numbered papers or chapters, each bearing a different title.

6. "THE Urantia BOOK" contains original writings, and as such, is copyrightable subject matter under the Copyright Act and all other laws of the United States governing copyright.

7. In 1955, Plaintiff published "THE Urantia BOOK" with proper notice of copyright, therein, deposited copies in the Copyright Office; and applied to register its claim to copyright, all in accordance with the requirements of the Copyright Act, and thereafter on January 3, 1956, Plaintiff secured the exclusive rights and privileges in and to the copyright in "THE Urantia BOOK," and has received from the Register of Copyrights a Certificate of Registration, dated and identified as follows: "Jan -3 1956, Class A, No. A 216389." A copy of "THE Urantia BOOK" is attached hereto and marked for identification as Plaintiff's Exhibit 1, and a Certified Copy of the aforesaid Certificate of Registration is attached hereto and marked for identification as Plaintiff's Exhibit 2.

8. From and after the date on which it acquired the exclusive rights and privileges in and to the copyright of "THE Urantia BOOK" up to and including January 3, 1956, Plaintiff complied in all respects with the Copyright Act and all other laws governing copyrights. Since January 3, 1956, "THE Urantia BOOK" has been published by Plaintiff and all copies of it made by Plaintiff, or under its authority or license, have been printed, bound and published in strict conformity with the Copyright Act and all other laws governing copyrights.

9. Since January 3, 1956, Plaintiff has been, and still is, the sole proprietor of all right, title and interest in, and to the copyright in "THE Urantia BOOK."

10. Plaintiff is informed and believes, and on information and belief alleges, that Defendant, Robert Burton, has been in the past, and is now, without any authority from Plaintiff, instrumental in having "THE Urantia BOOK," or parts thereof, translated into Spanish, and has in the past published and distributed booklets containing extensive quotations from "THE Urantia BOOK," also, without authority from Plaintiff, all of which constituted, and does now constitute, infringements of Plaintiff's copyright in "THE Urantia BOOK," and Defendant was notified of such infringements at the time the aforesaid acts occurred.

11. During the vast several years, in addition to the aforesaid acts of infringement, Defendant has, also, from time to time, attempted to create dissention, suspicion and distrust among the membership of Urantia Brotherhood, the body responsible for the dissemination of the teachings of "THE Urantia BOOK," by making unjustified accusations against Plaintiff and its Trustees concerning alleged improper activities.

12. In furtherance of, and consistent with Defendant's pattern of harassment against Plaintiff, as aforesaid, Defendant recently and within the past three months, copied, reproduced and distributed, line-for-line and word-for- word, without authority from Plaintiff, the complete "PAPER 72" from "THE Urantia BOOK" entitled "GOVERNMENT ON A NEIGHBORING PLANET." one of said reproductions of "PAPER 72" as copied from "THE Urantia BOOK" is attached hereto and marked for identification as Plaintiff's Exhibit 3.

13. Defendant's publication and distribution of said "PAPER 72" constitutes an infringement of Plaintiff's copyright in "THE Urantia BOOK."

14. By letter dated January 26, 1975, Defendant requested Plaintiff to give him permission to print copies of the aforesaid "PAPER 72." A copy of said letter is attached hereto and marked for identification as Plaintiff's Exhibit 4.

15. By letter of March 25, 1975, Plaintiff denied Defendant's request to print and publish copies of the aforesaid "PAPER 72" of "THE Urantia BOOK," but in the meantime, and without having received permission from Plaintiff, Plaintiff is informed and believes, and on information and belief alleges that Defendant proceeded to have printed and distributed, line-for-line and word-for-word, copies of said "PAPER 72" on or about March 28, 1975, and continues to distribute such copies from time to time without authorization from Plaintiff. A copy of said letter of March 25, 1975, is attached hereto and marked for identification as Plaintiff's Exhibit 5.

16. According to a letter from Defendant to Plaintiff, dated March 31, 1975, in reply to Plaintiff's letter of March 25, 1975, Defendant knew that Plaintiff would not grant him permission to reproduce and distribute said "PAPER 72." A copy of said letter of March 31, 1975, from Defendant to Plaintiff is attached hereto and marked for identification as Plaintiff's Exhibit 6.

17. By reason of the foregoing Defendant's infringement was deliberate, willful and wanton, in that Defendant well knew that Plaintiff's book was copyrighted, that Plaintiff was the proprietor of such copyright, and that Defendant had no authority or license to publish said book or any part thereof.

18. Plaintiff has notified Defendant that he has infringed Plaintiff's exclusive copyright in "THE Urantia BOOK," and despite said notice Defendant has continued to commit such acts of infringement.

19. Defendant has been and now is publishing and distributing copies of said "PAPER 72," without any notice of copyright thereon, and thereby, has been engaging in unfair trade practices and unfair competition against Plaintiff, to Plaintiff's irreparable damage.

20. Defendant will continue to follow his aforesaid pattern of harassing tactics against Plaintiff, and to infringe Plaintiff's copyrights, unless enjoined by this Court, and as the direct and proximate result of Defendant's unfair competition, Plaintiff has sustained damages in a sum not yet determined. Plaintiff will ask for leave of this Court to amend this Complaint to assert herein the true amount of said damages when the same have been fully and finally ascertained.

WHEREFORE PLAINTIFF PRAYS:

(1) That Defendant, his agents, servants, employees, successors and assigns, and all persons in privity or acting in concert with him be temporarily enjoined, during the pendency of this action and thereafter permanently enjoined from infringing in any manner, Plaintiff's copyright in and to "THE Urantia BOOK" and from publishing, selling, marketing or otherwise disposing of any copies of any portions of "THE Urantia BOOK";

(2) That Defendant be required to pay to Plaintiff such damages as Plaintiff has sustained as a consequence of Defendant's infringement of said copyright, and said unfair trade practices, and unfair competition as herein alleged, and to account for:

(a)all gains, profits and advantages derived by Defendant by said trade practices and unfair competition, and (b) all gains, profits and advantages derived by Defendant by his infringement of Plaintiff's copyright, or such damages as to the Court shall appear proper within the provisions of the Copyright Act and all other laws governing copyrights but not less than $250.00 for each such infringement; and that the Court take cognizance of the willful and wanton nature of Defendant's acts of infringement in its assessment therefor.

(3) That the Defendant, his agents, servants, employees, and all persons in privity or acting in concert with him be required to deliver up to be impounded during the pendency of this action. all copies of any books, publications, pamphlets, brochures, tracts, literature and translations containing any portions of "THE Urantia BOOK," and particularly those more fully described herein, which are in his or their possession or under his or their control, and to deliver up for destruction all infringing copies and all plates, molds and other matter for making such infringing copies;

(4) That Defendant pay to Plaintiff reasonable attorneys fees to be allowed to Plaintiff by this Court;

(5) For punitive damages in an amount which, to the Court may seem just and reasonable in accordance with the evidence.

(6) For costs of this action; and

(7) For such other relief as may seem fitting and proper to the Court and as the equities of this case may require.

Urantia FOUNDATION by Thomas A Kendall

PETER ARMSTRONG
   VARNUM, RIDDERING, W ERENGO & CHRISTENSON
   666 Old Kent Building
   Grand Rapids, Michigan 49502
   Tel.: 616-459-4186
   Attorneys for Plaintiff

Lloyd C. Root
   JOHNSON, DIENNER, EIRICH & WAGNER
   150 North Wacker Drive
   Chicago, Illinois 60606
   Te.: 312-368-8575
   Of Counsel for Plaintiff

evan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Public Documents: Urantia Foundation v. Robert Burton
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 09:54:26 PM »
Hi Andyvines,
Your digging has been quite deep and must be exhausting for you.  But it serves a purpose and an important one too. Hopefully you can make a timeline with all that historical info you've got.  It will help bring many things to light and perhaps serve us here well when the time comes when people ask about the book which we are supposed to study and read and spread.   The knowledge and subjects covered by the book helps in the Corrective Time which is Michael's Mission as well as those archived messages from all our beloved Celestials.  This is surely the Father's business.  
Many thanks,
Evan  
~ In kindness and with mercy minister to all who are in distress and in need (UB 140:3.14) ~

LarryG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 06:45:32 AM »
Ron, Evan  and you, Andy for all of this research.   My oh my this has been a very interesting surface of information and I thank you all for all that has been included.  I am sure that this is but a tip of the iceburg!  Even though reading all of the legal jargon and double talk is a bit tedious to wade through and the real information could be reduced to just a few sentences, I kept thinking that is little wonder that it takes so long to actually get much accomplished  in the field of law.    However,  I have often wondered about just some of the details that I have heard in modern times regarding the old and soon defunct  Urantia Book Foundation since we have only received snippets of information of their near nefarious goings-on throughout the history of their evolution.   Again, thank you for all of this information.    LarryG      
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:47:27 AM by LarryG »
"What you are today is not so important as what you are becoming day by day so Let us be about the Father's Business"

ASSALE

• Thanks for the Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 08:56:02 AM »
Andy, I'll never be able to pay you in dollars for the real value of your unique and exceptional contributions on the forum. A day lasts 24 hours, with all the uplifting food available on the forum, this time seems very very short for now. .

Please view the following and send me your remarks in private.
https://youtu.be/SpK9tZGoKR0
https://youtu.be/SpK9tZGoKR0
Thank you for the Classroom of the Spirit.

Clency

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »
There are certainly some aspects of the UB history that are important to know so as to be in a position to answer basics questions by presenting evident facts, but for now I don't want to indulge myself in all those judicial imbroglios, it is too absorbing and indeed I don't see its usefulness in my own spiritual development.

My own focus is for the MM and how I can be of service. Domtia

Clency
Oh, Lord ! I am your servant, I am your liege, it is my will to have your will be done, I am yours for eternity.

ASSALE

• Thanks for the Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »
It is good to know all about the UB delivery, as its dessimination throughout Urantia was not successful, it was important to know that a real legal battle was underway, so far as it's still daytime, we can gather and keep any information about TUB for any further and useful purpose.

The considerable amount of time we devote to our spiritual development is not in vain. It is good to know that Caligastia intentionally delayed the delivery of the revelations, and I'm sinerely grateful to the Ancients of Days who wisely allowed the Rebels time enough to make their show, a show that died on its own.

Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 01:37:14 PM »
Larry:
Greetings Larry Gossett and I point out a typo in your comments that speaks to the defunct Urantia Book Foundation when you actually meant to say the defunct Urantia Foundation.  The names of the Foundation either in Chicago or in York were meant to be very close in meaning and I understand how the confusion can take place. 

T4T
With that said, T4T I do understand your delivery of thinking to yourself that it is the Magisterial Mission to focus importantly upon, but just be aware we are in the process of cleaning up old wrongs and possibly evil in the affairs of man, and it is best served as facts to you as the maneuvers of things like the death of the Brotherhood and the rise of the symbolism of King of the Mountain types that inhabit the Urantia Foundation in Chicago.  How you attend to these problems is your choice and in your own way, but do not dismiss the fight Paradise is putting up to cleanse Urantia of mistaken ways of guiding an epochal revelation either.

Assale

I watch you grow and am greatly interested in how you see evil in an institution like the Church or the sometimes out of synchronization of the Urantia Foundation that happens all too frequently?

The truth of the matter is that no one can operate as the Urantia Foundation without proper celestial guidance without getting mired in just what happened there.  I do not forgive some of their antics, but on the whole most Trustees enjoyed what they did and were rewarded handsome returns on their faith.  Recent inward evaluations of the bulk of the Urantia Foundation Trustees, however, have resulted in a schism and a fracture in leadership, and for that reason alone, that Foundation needs to be put to rest for the good of the epochal revelation and its dissemination around Urantia.

Ron
Located in Historic York, Pennsylvania

ASSALE

• Thanks for the Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 02:06:33 PM »
Ron wrote: I watch you grow and am greatly interested in how you see evil in an institution like the Church or the sometimes out of synchronization of the Urantia Foundation that happens all too frequently?

For a Book of such import, it has been to me an evil for the Church not to spread its content worldwide after 80 years! The church is to be blamed for rejecting the content of such a unique Book written by Celestials.

Ron, there's no single copy of TUB in the Ivory Coast. What then was the divine Mission entrusted to the Urantia Foundation? We've been prevented from such a celestial gift which undoubtedly would have helped Africa exit darkness. The fracture in leadership among the Trustees  (maybe due to an unfair share of the cake!) has led to the death of the Foundation.

What is different with the new foundation is that Ron is a Transmitter, while the above Trustees did not take part in the revelations (to my knowledge), this forum is full of transmitters, with just the desire to go about Father's business. When I read Michael or Serara, managing to give a montly salary to their workers, thus stabilizing their social status, the Mission will be successful.

Because a hungry man is always an angry man. Maybe both the Church and the Foundation are still hungry.