Author Topic: A Computer Disaster  (Read 129 times)

Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
A Computer Disaster
« on: October 09, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »
Windows operating system did me in. I sent the machine out for repair today and do not expect to be operating again until at least until Oct 15 or so.  Update file from MS destroyed the O/S and blue screens refuse repairs from home. Must restore Windows and lost all data. Sure is a quick way to a simple desktop again.  No responses to emails or messages for awhile until I can get back to normal somehow.  No donation receipts either as the entire email system was removed.   Thanks for your patience.   Ron
Located in Historic York, Pennsylvania

Don Crownover

• Kindness is Love
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A Computer Disaster
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:42:35 PM »
Sorry to hear this Ron.

As an IT professional I will say that in an OS, Operating System corruption issue that your data is only lost if the repair tech does not attempt to remove the hard drive to a repair PC and pull the user data off before rebuilding. Comcast has the ability to restore email from their backups. The only way the data is "lost" would be if the hard drive physically crashed... usually with a clicking noise but you would never see the windows system trying an attempt to repair if the hard drive crashed and could not read or write itself.

In the future always make daily backups, especially of any business type system, for restore to new functional systems.

Rebuilding your system is a simple fix and "all data lost" is a lazy uncaring technicians way of work.

Call me if you have any questions, I would like to help if possible. Don
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:44:32 PM by Don Crownover »
Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore. Andre Gide (1869-1951)

Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 11:07:16 PM »
Hi Don,
This is what happened.  I downloaded a Microsoft update and in that update was an incompatible driver and the operating system attempted to use it and blew the pagination kernel to pieces and there after flashed a blue screen I could not ever get totally eliminated.  I talked with the tech people in Auburn, Washington state, and sent them the computer this afternoon and on its way for repairs.  The tech I talked to also came to the same conclusions and was convinced a bad driver cleared out the computers idea of what it was really doing and it threw a blue screen up I could not keep from reappearing after awhile.  One day I worked fine without out and then today I could not get rid of it - go figure. 

The blue screen started off with this statement.

NETWSW02.SYS
Page fault in non-page area
Disable BIOS memory option such as caching or shadows
- - - Followed one full page of addresses and a full memory dump into error

The fellow at Puget said he felt we could restore it easily if he reinstalled the drivers for windows, but I neither had internet or anything else to communicate with as it took down the internet connected and the email connection and blanked out even the use of my mouse (which he did get back by me reconnecting into a USB 2 hub instead of a 3 hub as no drivers for the 3.  I then made it all worse by attempting to reinstall Windows (7) and that flat out  destroyed any chance of me recovering data.  It is a real mess but maybe it comes clean after installing drivers and giving me a fresh install of 7 - I dislike the new OS so much I won't touch them.  So there is the ugly picture,  I happened to have had a spare computer in the closet freshly repaired and fresh install of the OS and it works beautifully and reinstalled the mailer and the connection easily and so am using the older computer which works better than what I have had for some time with the so-called new computer.

thanks for the offer but it is already on its way to the hospital as I write.  Ron

Located in Historic York, Pennsylvania

Don Crownover

• Kindness is Love
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:24:22 PM »
Good you had a backup PC available. Reinstalling Windows 7 may have wiped off all data and this is why the data is lost. Sounds as if the windows update installed the wrong Network Interface Driver and with not enough on-board memory, this is when you lost use of the mouse, when the memory maxed out with a system mem dump.

Onward march... can't look back now.

If you are getting the old system rebuilt and want it back... Have them increase the memory banks to the maximum.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:26:52 PM by Don Crownover »
Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore. Andre Gide (1869-1951)