Author Topic: Learning Humility  (Read 1045 times)

JamesD

• View Profile
Learning Humility
« on: August 11, 2016, 03:19:41 AM »
UB 9:5.5 [...] "Human intellect is rooted in the material origin of the animal races. Universe intelligence is no more a true revelation of God who is mind than is physical nature a true revelation of the beauty and harmony of Paradise. Perfection is in nature, but nature is not perfect. The Conjoint Creator is the source of mind, but mind is not the Conjoint Creator.

UB 9:5.6 Mind, on Urantia, is a compromise between the essence of thought perfection and the evolving mentality of your immature human nature. The plan for your intellectual evolution is, indeed, one of sublime perfection, but you are far short of that divine goal as you function in the tabernacles of the flesh. Mind is truly of divine origin, and it does have a divine destiny, but your mortal minds are not yet of divine dignity.

UB 9:5.7 Too often, all too often, you mar your minds by insincerity and sear them with unrighteousness; you subject them to animal fear and distort them by useless anxiety. Therefore, though the source of mind is divine, mind as you know it on your world of ascension can hardly become the object of great admiration, much less of adoration or worship. The contemplation of the immature and inactive human intellect should lead only to reactions of humility."

Humility - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humility

Note -
In no way do I intend this quotation to downgrade the value of study as mortals. Quite the opposite. I see the personal integration of humility a catalyst to being more loving, and the further understanding of humility a reminder that we must continue to study and apply discernment to all information as best we can.  

Although we may be inferior in mind... 
UB 9:6.1 "The Third Source and Center, the universal intelligence, is personally conscious of every mind, every intellect, in all creation, and he maintains a personal and perfect contact with all these physical, morontial, and spiritual creatures of mind endowment in the far-flung universes. All these activities of mind are grasped in the absolute mind-gravity circuit which focalizes in the Third Source and Center and is a part of the personal consciousness of the Infinite Spirit."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:36:09 AM by JamesD »
"It's life Jim but not as you know it....."
   ~ Mait'Eliflik

Angela

• Let the perfect will of the Father be done.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Learning Humility
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 11:51:15 PM »

You are a deep thinker, Jim!
Isn’t it appropriate that the UB describes a humble person as “teachable and truth-seeking.”140:5.7
I find it fascinating that the mortal mind is only “a temporary intellect system loaned" to us to help us discern reality and to reach for a spiritual experience of reality. 111:1.5 It is temporary because once we prove our humility and our material desire to experience truth in our every decision, to appreciate beauty and to love others as God loves them, the mortal mind evolves into something so much better.
Otherwise I would be stuck with my faulty memory for eternity.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 01:06:17 AM by Angela »
But the noblest of all memories are the treasured recollections of the great moments of a superb friendship. 160:4.12 (1779.4)

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 03:52:49 AM »

You are a deep thinker, Jim!
Isn’t it appropriate that the UB describes a humble person as “teachable and truth-seeking.”140:5.7
I find it fascinating that the mortal mind is only “a temporary intellect system loaned" to us to help us discern reality and to reach for a spiritual experience of reality. 111:1.5 It is temporary because once we prove our humility and our material desire to experience truth in our every decision, to appreciate beauty and to love others as God loves them, the mortal mind evolves into something so much better.
Otherwise I would be stuck with my faulty memory for eternity.
Thanks Angela but I'm easily distracted. Brain needs sufficient chocolate and ice cream for proper maintenance...
Yes it is very encouraging that once we have crossed the immediate finishing-line new mental facilities are realized, and great comfort that of the mortal experience.... " it is not so much what mind comprehends as what mind desires to comprehend that insures survival" (111:1.5)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 03:55:41 AM by JamesD »
"It's life Jim but not as you know it....."
   ~ Mait'Eliflik

Dorian

• He gave His everything, all He asks of us is Love
    • MSN Messenger - doriand@live.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 09:26:23 AM »
Thank you both for that enlightening post and re-post.  It seems to remind me of what I have read quite a few times in these forum lessons.  God is concerned with our INTENT.  As that is where we truly are in our desires, thoughts and actions.  Thank you again. Lord above, I sure love reading these messages from our brothers and sisters.
Domtia
He Gave To Us His Everything.  Now "All He Asks Of Us Is Love."   Song about Jesus. Lyrics and Vocal by Dorian C. Doyon - Music by Kris Kristofferson   Clicking on the link here will take you to the song.  Domtia
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixLU9SjexHw

Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 01:23:10 PM »
Speaking of humility.  While humility is a basis for learning to forgive someone by understanding what their motivation could have been and realizing you yourself practice the same thing that made the unforgiven one an enemy, humility can be a two edged sword.  We can all have, at one time or another, too much humility, so that we fall over our unworthiness feelings to fail to progress and wallow in the dark under the bushel basket of selfless and expressionless living.

Abraham of Old taught a class in Woods Cross, Utah, on this very subject, and it is so good I think you might enjoy reading this excerpt from that transcription.  Remember Miriam is a child of God, and she constantly places herself second, and Abraham was to remind her she would never gain confidence as a child of God and a good ascender without recognizing putting one back and realizing we are not as great as God or Allah so that it constantly stops us from shining through our own excellent expressions of work of help and other things we depend on for self fulfillment.  Here is the excerpt:

From the old transcript: http://tmarchive.org/readdoc.php?tid=486&search=humility

EXCERPT, Miriam is a student in the group and it is Teacher Abraham speaking about the conflicts caused by too much HUMILITY:

Meeting with Abraham
Father's Mission Statement for Earthly Living
February 10, 1997
Woods Cross, Utah

MIRIAM: Abraham, this ties into Calvin's question. A couple weeks back, I shared earlier that you said that I was being shy and I have been trying not to withhold me and share. There is just something I don't understand. I'd like to think I have made some progress in this. It is like peeling layers of a onion. You think you got it and it comes again and with that the feeling of less than. It is like when you do share yourself, feeling stupid about it, knowing that it isn't stupid. I know I have asked you about this before, but what is that? Like when you get to a place of understanding that you are loved by the Father and you know it, then you go to another place, and it feels like you are learning it for the first time again. You know you are not. You know you are making progress. What is that about the humanity of it? I know I am not the only one that feels like that. So why does it feel like the first time? Do you know what I mean? Does that make sense?

Abraham: Yes. In striving for God-likeness and Father's perfection there can occur an imbalance of overmuch humility, just as can occur an imbalance from healthy self-love to self-adoration. There is an tendency among mortals who are in the race for perfection to stumble upon their regrets as if they were able to fix them, to redo past mistakes. To live from regret to regret is not submission to Father. It is not trust for Father's overseeing vision, no. It is not allowing the good Teacher to teach. Each must embrace humility in order to keep the flow of learning moving, but beyond this healthy point is to move toward the spirit poisons, such as spiritual envy; "I am so far behind I will never catch up to my fellows;" perhaps lack in belief in your status as child of God; "How can I be God's child when I continue in this way?" perhaps anger, "How can I ever understand when I continue to stumble and constantly regret my decisions on the spiritual path?" Do you see, when you have gone beyond balanced humble attitude to the spirit poisons, there is not submission to Father and His definition of what you view to be a mistake, no. There is only mortal definition and this can be biased. Does this help?

MIRIAM: Sort of. It does help me to understand like living in regret and in the past and taking humility to a place...I guess more specifically, just let me ask this for me instead of broadening it to humanity. When I experience this it is so sudden and it is like a cut to the quick. I think I am doing great, everything is swell, and then I walk through a place of fear of doing something that I think is the right thing to do and I get to this place of sudden quickness, this naked raw place, and I just feel like a boob. Where does that come from? You know you're cruising in the right zone spiritually, or you think you are, maybe I'm not. I don't know. Does that help a little bit more?

ABRAHAM: My understanding is that this is imbalance, and with the conditioning of spiritual muscles, this will level out. I would suggest that in these moments let not your intellectual self be overwhelmed with your emotional self where there can be feelings that are not reality based, but stem from possibly the ego. I doubt not that this is an assignment that Father would have you look into completely and without fear or hesitation. Does this answer? (Yes, very much. Thank you.) Certainly. One more question? If there are no pressing questions I would express to you my love and unending friendship. I shall continue to assist you throughout the week. Until next week, shalom.
END
Located in Historic York, Pennsylvania

evan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 12:56:39 PM »
This topic has not been touched for at least 120 days or so it said in the 'warning'.   The reason I'm here is because I wanted to check what the UB said about 'humility' as I had a 'friendship' issue and wanted to learn more about it.   So I googled it and typed in 'humility Urantia'.  The search listed several UB Papers but what got my attention was the 5th heading from the top  'Learning Humility - Serara Forum'.  I was delighted that our forum was right there!  I opened it and saw James D's topic and what Angela and Dorian contributed about it that was helpful.  But Ron's response was an entirely different take about this virtue.

Many thanks Ron for this guided wisdom.  Everyday there are lessons to be learned and reviewed again.  It's as if our Spirit Guides are making sure we individually get to refine the concepts that we were already given and that in the near future we will have to recall.
~ In kindness and with mercy minister to all who are in distress and in need (UB 140:3.14) ~