Author Topic: Audio Transmission / Music  (Read 94 times)

Lemuel

• The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
    • MSN Messenger - angelemuel@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Audio Transmission / Music
« on: August 08, 2018, 01:23:32 AM »
Speaker: Samuel Barber
Subject: Music
T/R: Lemuel
Place: Girona, Catalunya, Spain.
Date/Time: 8th Aug. 2018  07:23 Local  05:23 Z

https://app.box.com/s/i9r3o7xufan3f1yfpn2h8vt3ou4qopl5

gitz

• Steven's Law: God never made one of anything!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Audio Transmission / Music
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:39:25 AM »
Lemuel, your audio transmission from Samuel Barber touched me greatly.  I've been a big fan of his ever since I learned to play his piano compositions.  A few years ago I had the opportunity to play some of the pieces from his works that he calls Souveirs.  A colleague of mine, Madeline Tribble, arranged a few parts of this work from Souvenirs in 4 pianos/8hands.  Barber wrote it for 2 pianos/4 hands.  If I remember correctly, we played the Waltz, the Galop, and the Hesitation Tango from Souvenirs.  We played it in concert in New Orleans, Louisiana as a fundraiser event for the New Orleans International Piano Composition.  My cousin,  Raymond Gitz D.M.A., founded this international competition which invites young pianists from around the world.  It is a yearly event that is about 30 years running.  Yearly my colleague and I organize a concert the day before the competition begins to help defray the expense of picking up the candidates at the airport, etc.  I did not know much at all about Barber's piano works before Madeline introduced me him by way of arranging the pieces in a four piano/8hand format.  We call the fundraiser, "4 Pianos plus more"  ( we put a fifth concert grand on the stage for certain pieces but most of the pieces or played on four grands).

If anyone is interested, most of Barber's piano compositions are almost exclusively recorded by Robert Downing.  I don't know why Barber is a bit obscure, or should I say not as well known as other composers, but I LOVE his work.  Madeline is retired from the University of Louisiana where she headed up the music department for over 30 years.  We don't know how old she is and she won't say but I jokingly like to say that she is older than God (ha), or that she and God decided to create the piano for we mammals to help us, late on the sixth day mind you (ha again).

I'm most excited to hear from Samuel Barber that you composed a piece called "The Lords Prayer."  If you have written it down, could you PLEASE send it to me.  I will learn it and record it and post it so that we all can hear and enjoy.  Thanks again for this inspirational audio transmission this morning.

Steven Gitz
203 Vivian Drive
Lafayette, LA  70508

Pliktarious

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Audio Transmission / Music
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »
After hearing Lemuels transmission from Samuel Barber, I went directly to You Tube and listened to Adagio for Strings, Op.11,a truly beautiful piece of music that put me on a higher level, a true genius has lived among us. Domtia