Author Topic: Site Performamce Problems FYI  (Read 1315 times)

Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Site Performamce Problems FYI
« on: November 13, 2018, 12:57:12 AM »
Our Providers maintain this site on a server in New England, USA.  Specifically, in the Boston, Massachusetts area.  I just received word from the man that owns the server farm, that our discussion forum is creating problems with maintenance.  He invokes technical terms to tell me what is wrong, but essentially is not overload or a bandwidth problem, but our software is mostly incompatible with the types of Server we are on and broadcast to the world through.

I have been advised that the whole site may have to be taken down to remove it from a server that does not like how it operates and it itself will sometimes just fail to promote our site on line when it gets technically fed up with software errors and the database misbehaving.  I quickly add that is not being caused by a lot new traffic, but is being caused by poorly written software code that fails to straighten its own errors out and we fail on line.

We will continue to experience outages now.  When Boston decides to move it or if it moves it to a new server, we will have from 24 hours to 72 hours of down time.  When we move a program from one server to another, it must be resettled on the Internet and what they call PROPAGATION happens.  That is when all the servers all around the world no longer have us on the old server and must reinstall themselves from a new server address.  Hence the site can be down for as long as 72 hours or down as short as 12 hours depedning on how fast other providers can get reconnected to the new server.

Our down problems now are the old server balking at our database and software errors in an out of date code and it is my intention to reload the present software onto our own Servers in the coming year, but that takes a lot more work than I have even started and it is way in the future right now.

I will attempt to warn the site and Members and Guests that we are having a Server change and we will not be visible when that happens for whatever time it takes it to propagate anew.  If it disappears without that announcement it is not gone but being replaced onto a new server and I did not get warned in time.

I apologize to all and thank you everyone for your patience while this old presence on the web is reset as it was today or new server as it may be this month yet.  I do not know what they have in mind.  In any case thank you Guests and Members for understanding and putting up with the problem for now.   Thank you.

Ron Besser/Admin
Located in Historic York, Pennsylvania

7inOcean

• View Profile
Re: Site Performamce Problems FYI
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 01:42:25 AM »
No worries Ron, I got that, thank you so much for letting us all know and explaining why the site may be offline when it does happen. Thank you for all that you do in this respect and for those technicians who work on this, it is very much understandable given the age of this site and so on. All the best in this new endeavor and hope it all comes back well. My best wishes and support be with you in this transition.

Sue/7inOcean

Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Site Performamce Problems FYI
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 10:29:58 AM »
Thank you Sue.

I had a report from our Provider this morning and it is not a happy one.   The site runs with what they call "old protocols" for provisions to run as you the site today.  Servers today are updated to run with the new rules of operation, and the code in the software is to run with what was current protocols in the early 2000's/  

They recommended we change the site by using updated software but the corporation that designed the site software has nothing but a Beta replacement, and that means two things to us if we attempt to use the Beta replacement:

1 = Beta software is in a testing mode and may have corruptible code and hard to use until the bugs are fixed;
2 = All of our past activity cannot be saved and we have to start over our history.  That means our data base with all the posts in it would be deleted because it operates with the old protocols aside of itself but is dependent on them to be able to post into and to have conversations.

What I did this morning was ask our Provider not to force this software out of its own context and to let it run by keeping an eye on it when it tends to shut itself down over protocol frustration.

I also stated that this is one of the most critical times for the site as the incursion of spirit Missions is taking place and this is about the only site that has connections to the spirit leadership to report what they are doing to move Missions to the surface of this planet, and that it is critically needed at this moment.  I asked that we nurse it along to December 31, 2018. and then make a decision what to do with being so out dated with this version of a discussion forum.  That is all I can do for now, and you all  are advised of what is a shaky condition we are in with what is essentially a mismatch in our design with how servers maintain a site presence.  That is called a protocol in their book and we are operating with less than perfect protocols.

Thank you all and for you patience while we suffer the slings and arrows of age.
Ron Besser/admin
Located in Historic York, Pennsylvania