Author Topic: Science research has found bedbugs evolved before the bats  (Read 565 times)

Online 7inOcean

• View Profile
Hello my dear friends, this morning I came across this astonishing scientific discovery. Do mind,  it took some thirty years of studies for this to come to its findings and I am really amazed! When I was living in Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia,  of all places,  in a block of high rise units, our family had a nasty experience with these hideous critters, they are truly sneaky and blood thirsty! I got to see them under my geological magnifying glass and they are the most alien looking creatures, they appear to be looking like mean voraptuorus machines! Very hardy and intent in their ability of speed and hiding. A good steamer machine got them under control among other protective measures we took to get them from eating us! After some online searching, we also found how they can last up to twelve months without a blood feed, Here is the link below to discover they even go back to the dinosaur era, and now I am seeing how hardy they can be and why studying these creatures can help find ways to control their encroachment on humans. I am still reeling from this amazing study. Hope this gets sorted as I sure don't want us humans have to get so many bites as these critters gave some of our family members in our time in our Darwin unit.

Link: https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(19)30477-4

Much love to you all.
Sue/7inOcean

Online Pliktarious

• The light of God surrounds us.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Science research has found bedbugs evolved before the bats
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 05:42:55 AM »
Hi Sue, are bedbugs and  flea's the same species.I remember when I was a child in the 1950s we got fleas in our hair and my mother put DDT in our hair to kill the bugs.DDT was a miracle pesticide in those times and I get the chills  when I think about it .

Online Lemuel

• The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
    • MSN Messenger - angelemuel@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 08:12:13 AM »
Hi Pliktarious,
                          When I was a small boy growing up in Wales, my mother always impressed 
upon me never to put on another boy´s school cap, because of the possibility of catching
head lice. (Pediculus humanus capitis.)  I remember experiencing this problem on more than 
one occasion.  My mother used a steel comb for the hair and she killed these little blighters
with her fingernail.  Your head itched like mad when you get them. It´s very contagious, hence
the admonition not to wear another´s cap.

Bed bugs are something else. (Cimex lectularius Linnaeus)   I am fortunate never to have
experienced these.

Flease, as I underestand it, can only come from our domesticated friends, cats and dogs.

Children suffering from head lice is still very common on all strata of population.

Lemuel

Online 7inOcean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 08:29:37 AM »
Hi Pliktarious,

I found these comparisons in Wikipedia:

Fleas:

Fleas
Temporal range: Early Cretaceous–Recent
PreЄ
Є
O
S
D
C
P
T
J
K
Pg
N

False colour scanning electron micrograph of a flea. CDC image.
Scientific classification

Kingdom:
Animalia
Phylum:
Euarthropoda
Class:
Insecta
(unranked):
Eumetabola
(unranked):
Endopterygota
Superorder:
Panorpida
Order:
Siphonaptera
Latreille, 1825
Suborders

And the Bedbugs:

Cimex lectularius

Scientific classification

Kingdom:
Animalia
Phylum:
Euarthropoda
Class:
Insecta
Order:
Hemiptera
Family:
Cimicidae
Genus:
Cimex
Species:
C. lectularius
Binomial name
Cimex lectularius
Linnaeus, 1758

So it appears there are so many species in these groups, it seems highly probable they may be related given their similar parasitic nature and feeding habits. It just makes me wonder how these tiny crawlies get there so long ago, but it is interesting with the bedbug family how they are so robust and managed to survive. As to evolution, they seem to stay as a group and find host to keep going. I find it remarkable how these tiny cryptic creatures manage to be around, then again our human population and migration over many continents are certainly giving these creatures more hosts to breed and thrive. So it is no wonder why we consider them as problematic pest.  Thank you for bringing up the fleas, I forgot about that and what about head-lice, lol! Where did these things come from? Are these some creatures that jumped the ocean and creeped around on the land in some ancient times of evolution on this planet? Their tiny size makes them so hideous and obscure, it's makes these look like giants of evolutionary survival. However, the Homo Sapiens managed to evolve with the help of Andon and Fonta (see Paper 63 TUB), we are so bettered due to the work of the Life Carriers. Anyhow, it made me curious and amazed by what scientist are discovering even though it has taken some years for them to find it and get some results.

Sue/7inOcean

Online 7inOcean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »
Lemuel, when my son was in high school, he had dreadlocks. It soon became a haven for head lice and with the help and suggestion of a family friend, the stuff called Advantix that is used on our dog was most effective to use a drop on his head. Left on overnight and in the morning all the lice dropped out onto his pillow, yes literally! It worked. And his head was fine. My son and I saw all the black little things all over his pillow like they were zapped out of his hair! So there! We were hesitant at first to try this method, but the friend assured us that it was tried on their child and it worked. So we went ahead and gave it a go. Hope this may help others who are facing this menace.

Sue/7inOcean

Online 7inOcean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 08:54:09 AM »
Obviously, if the victim does not have dreadlocks, and the hair can be easily combed through, the natural remedy I used mostly was to shower the hair and leave the hair conditioner in it. The longer it stays the better, as it tends to paralyse the Lice and makes fine tooth combing the hair so much easier to get them out. I tried this too and after a few full heads of combing through, it seems to clear them out, then I use Head Lice treatment spray daily to treat the hair further.

Oh the things we have to do! And when I see them under a magnifying glass I am just gobsmacked how vicious those things look!

Much love to you all, Sue/7inOcean

Online Pliktarious

• The light of God surrounds us.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 09:27:13 AM »
Lemuel,that was very funny about the school cap  :D and Sue, Andon and Fonta must have carried around quiet a few lice and fleas,which is not surprising since they were most likely quiet hairy.

Online Clency

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 10:51:37 AM »
Do you say ‘budbegs’ ? Among the ten top germiest places to avoid those dirty offenders when travelling the world is hotel bedspreads, according to an article :

‘‘ Think twice before you flop down on your freshly made hotel bed. The heavy bedspread on top probably hasn’t been washed in a while. Most hotels change the sheets between guests but don’t change the top comforter, which could be a nice cozy home for bedbugs and bodily fluids. To avoid the left-behind germs of past guests, remove the top layer of bedding and sleep with only the washed sheets and blankets. ’’

Having grown up in a poor environment during my younger years, I remember bedbugs were really a big nuisance to all the family and my parents have tried in many ways to get rid of them without great success, until they discovered that petroleum stopped them right in their reproduction. Domtia  
Oh, Lord ! I am your servant, I am your liege, it is my will to have your will be done, I am yours for eternity.