Author Topic: Seeking Your Opinion - if you have got something to advise do so - question  (Read 1199 times)

Online Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ladies and gentlemen, for the past six days the discussion forum has been inundated by well over 150 people wanting to become members.  I think they are genuinely good people, but they are all Russian and affiliated areas as best I can tell from  the IP numbers.

I have had to reject 134 so far and another ten are requesting membership.  I sincerely doubt they can speak English and may never be able to understand what we say in English.

What do we do about this?

One solution I do have that occurs to me is to end the ban on Guests being able to post.  Right now guests can see everything, but I restrict posting by a guest only because they rather be a guest and not join the family.  I do not mind if guests post but I also know I open the safe rooms we have here to anyone who wants to flame us or hack us or just make life miserable for us by posting commercial enterprises which I have mostly eliminated but they are everywhere to sell purses, shoes,  and real estate yet.

Anyone have some thoughts on this.  I fully admit to you I have no real idea what has spawned such terrific interest in what we do here that suddenly makes us so interesting to a fairly large group of people from one nationality.  I do not mind posts in foreign languages at all, but if we get predominately a foreing language only what do we do then as I do not wish to offend perfectly fine people from the list.

Ron wondering how to hanlde this.
Located in Historic York, Pennsylvania

Offline TrinitiLuv

• View Profile
    • Email
Good day, Ron.....My answer to  your question - "how do we handle this" -- I feel it best to not allow quests to post.  If you do so, I suspect that the site would probably be inundated with postings, making it a bit troublesome to separate the wheat from the chaff, plus for the reasons that you mentioned in your post.  Ron I truly hope that this post finds you in one of the rare moments when you are feeling like a viable human.......I write in bold print for no reason other than ancient eyes.....Domtia!.....Ray Borden  //  Trinitiuv  //  Washington DC Metro Area  //  30July2019

Offline dreamcat01

• Dream And Pray For Wisdom To Serve!
    • MSN Messenger - medging@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have an idea I am sure you thought about. Why not get the best of Russian speakers to build a website like this one specifically for them? They can post as they like and the moderator is responsible for policing that site under you specific permissions!

Offline newstarsaphire

• Today is a "present" open and enjoy!
    • View Profile
Ron,

I'm coming at this from my past experience creating and managing websites for almost 15 years.  
As a website host manager for my own and client sites, it was mind boggling the nefarious ways hackers were becoming able to piggyback short and long-term links to their unsavory pages (mostly using .php from what I could discern) so they could use up the bandwith dedicated to our websites and then disappear never having spent a dime nor being around long enough to be able to track their activity.  Always I would note their IP addresses of the links they created and despite blocking them from the Web Host Manager software, many would find their ways around it, because that is what they do.  Their goal is to steel bandwidth from websites that have low traffic and keep themselves under the radar for their nefarious goings-on at the same time.  Giving them posting access or membership access is probably what they are looking for as once they are in, they are in,  like a nasty invasion of mice or termites.

I would ask myself Ron

1.  Why the suddent interest of such a large number of supposed "individuals" all from the same geographic area want to suddenly and all at once become members of this website whose subject matter is so specific and exclusive and not likely even in a language they can converse in?

2.  Even f they are legitimate seekers of truth and the material this website can provide why would so many be wanting to jump on board at once?  If they are some kind of group would they not possibly be aware of each other since they seem to share a common IP address area and why would they all need to become members at the same time since they can read the posts as guests and only need membership to post (seems very suspicious and illogical to me).

3.  Could  this sudden high volume of requests for membership, originitating in such a specific geographical area, all actually be one or very few individuals simply trawling low traffic websites on the internet looking to get any or all of them to take the bait  and give them membership status as a means of more easily hijacking your website and bandwidth without your knowledge, or with the goal of overwhelming the site with so much junk traffic that the site gets crashed?

Just sayin'

Time is a currency we can use to invest in our eternal future. 
The riches of the possible are never fully mined.

Online Lemuel

• The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
    • MSN Messenger - angelemuel@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ron,   I agree with Newstarsaphire. Don´t do this. Do not open the door to unknown

and uninvited guests.  Once they are in, how are you going to get rid of them?

And if you do finally get rid of them, think of the damage they may have caused through

deed and word.

Would you allow them into your own home?

Surely not!

Lemuel

Online Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
everyone, I am showing you a screen shot of my admin dashboard in case some of get some idea of what the interest is.  They are reading the site and liking something very much.  But no definite clue what it is they find to like.  here is the dashboard to this site listing membership request from noon today until 330PM my time.
 clcik on the picture to enlarge it to read
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:49:52 PM by Ron Besser »

Offline 7inOcean

• View Profile
I agree with the caution to be taken, but to be fair this is how I and all of us get here on this site and learn to participate. It is a "discussion forum" afterall, and it is for the general public this site is for to generate interest and discussion. I am in favour of allowing people a chance to express themselves, provided they have read the Urantia Book in its entirety. We already have Prozonov and is doing fine with following us here. I believe in a fair go as Aussies do and it remains to be seen the fairness done by new members as well as old. I agree with Ron's concern of the dangers, but hey, this site is bound to attract attention and even more so when the traffic may swell in the times of recognition of the Mission apparent. This is the trial for us to discern and be vigilant, we have been here long enough to see the good apples among the bad ones. If the site has to crash then at least we have given the chance for the rubber to hit the road running. Let us see where this takes us. We cannot be a closed group for too long as the genuine interest and hunger grows and our dear brethren are in need of help. If they are from one area, say from Russia, then it is because they have remarkably found a rare site and let's hope for the best from them. In the end, it is a case of, 'we are damned if we do, and we are damned if we don't'. I wish to thank Ron for being so darn good in keeping this site going and in such a safe place for us to explore our potential. Thank you Ron.

Many regards, Sue/7inOcean

Offline amethyst

• service is the currency of the universe
    • View Profile
Ron-
I agree with the caution you have and with the consensus that you should proceed with caution.  This is an unusual spike.  Go with what you feel.  You have good instincts.
Blessings,
Amethyst
Ambynetty

kindred shall forever remain unbroken

Online prozonov

• MSN Messenger - prozonov@mail.ru
    • View Profile
Пусть раскольники простят меня, но я выскажу свое мнение. Все это похоже на очередную русофобскую акцию американских спецслужб. В обычной жизни такого не бывает ...

Online Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Here is a google translation of your words, Prozonov:

"Let the schismatics forgive me, but I will express my opinion. All this is similar to another Russophobic action of the American special services. In ordinary life, this does not happen."  Prozonov

I have to have help as I do not know what you mean.  From my perspective, there is a reaction from our Russian friends over something quite specific being posted on the site.  I would rather think that then a Russian reaction to something as general as they like to read the site.  I doubt that is true due to language problems alone.  So my question is can you tell me better what you are telling us?

Ron

Online prozonov

• MSN Messenger - prozonov@mail.ru
    • View Profile
Я имею в виду, что правда в этом морально обанкротившемся мире никому не нужна. Она скрыта любыми средствами. Это один из них. Антироссийская истерия в Конгрессе США достигла предела. Ваш сайт мешает им узнать правду. Отсюда и попытки дискредитации. Любой ip-адрес может быть подделан. Что касается языкового барьера - его нет. Я также не говорю по-английски и использую программное обеспечение для перевода. То есть они не искажают.
А желающих стать участниками сайта можно проверить по простым вопросам из ваших предыдущих публикаций, указанных в вашем списке рассылки

Online Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Here is a translation of your response.
Anti-Russian hysteria in the US Congress has reached the limit. Your website prevents them from finding out the truth. Hence the attempts to discredit. Any ip-address can be forged. As for the language barrier - it is not. I also do not speak English and use translation software. That is, they do not distort. And those wishing to become members of the site can be checked on simple questions from your previous publications listed on your mailing list.  Prozonov

Ron - I still do not get what you are saying although you seem to think this site has something to do with hiding the truth from them.  Fact is, we do not address the Congress or its disgust with Russian attempts to influence US elections.  We do not touch it as it is not our subject to deal with it as we prefer spiritual discussions alone for the most part.  We do sometimes speak politically but not against any country except the abuses of the Middle East.   

Online Clency

• View Profile
    • Email
I think having the gist of what Prozonov tries to confer in his assumption.  If we refer to his previous post, he suspects it is the US Secret Service that is behind all this under a camouflage so as to make the Russians bear the responsability. Correct me if I am wrong. Domtia
Oh, Lord ! I am your servant, I am your liege, it is my will to have your will be done, I am yours for eternity.

Online Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
We will have to leave it like than then, Clency.  The US Secret Service has better things to do than this web site or anything to do with it.  It is conspiratorial at best to think such and at worse so off putting there is little to share that has meaning to the conspirator.  Hence we drop that matter  for now.  Thanks for your post and to who who have responded to my request for your views:

I have decided that to consider over 135 new members most who speak Russian perhaps only, is too much to handle all at one time.  I have no way at all to decipher which and who should be a member and insofar as I know all 135 persons are outstanding members to consider, but it is too much, too many people,  to drop on us all at once, an therefore look  to persist as we are now, at least for the moment.  I thank each and everyone for letting me know your views, and leave it all t that for now. 
RON

Offline weydevu

• View Profile
    • Email
I would suggest to give a Urantia Book test to those who want to join to see how knowledgeable they are. How else are they going to understand the contents of this forum.

Ron - I did until recently and discovered even a simple question did not get answered well.  I changed that over a month ago and offer a resistant free quiz asking about how man fingers on a hand.  Do you see?  Ron
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 04:26:18 PM by Ron Besser »