Author Topic: 07Feb2016 - Site now moved - question for you . . .  (Read 4138 times)

Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
07Feb2016 - Site now moved - question for you . . .
« on: February 07, 2016, 12:13:20 PM »
The site was slower to "show" with my Comcast account than some of you around the world who saw it faster than I did.  Everything seems to be brought over to the new home server okay and I am grateful the techs did such a good job.   The next site we have to be careful with too is tmarchive.org, which has a lot of moving parts and when moving such constructions, if you remember to move them sometimes they just stop working anyway.  But my question to some of you, is:

Are you getting post notifications that a post you have asked to be notified by email are not coming to you?

That has happened with me so far and I suspect it is because I have not posted since the new site is up or have I done anything but look at the different categories to see if anything is new.  I get no emails for any of this for the time being.  If it is a general condition (and I have checked all the boxes in my profile to get notifications) I have to go to our technicians to see if they can reinstate that feature in our software.

All in all we did pretty well.  Thanks for your patience.

Ron
Located in Historic York, Pennsylvania

Shokre

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 07Feb2016 - Site now moved - question for you . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 01:11:04 PM »
I get (and got) the emails when I get personal messages in my inbox, so that works fine. Never used the notifications that are sent to email about the posts that I am interested in. What could have happened thought is that notifications might have been reset to default state perhaps?

On another note I see we don't have a problem anymore with auto-formatting when writing anymore. Before I had to use the preview button to reset the autoformatting. Now its gone :)

overmind

• View Profile
    • Spirit-Self-Satisfaction
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:18:45 PM »
Like Shokre, I choose not to receive any emails besides ones concerning personal messages. I look at the thread list for all unread posts each day, so I have no need for any such update.
I wanted to sail, so the universe built me a galleon.

bradcooke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 09:25:08 PM »
Hi All,

All seems to be working well, I get notifications as I am supposed...
The Glory of God is Intelligence...

7inOcean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 10:09:54 PM »
Hugh?!? What notifications??? The site seems to be working fine to me nothing jumps out to me as unusual so far. Well done Ron and to the servers, all the best for the tmarchive site!
Love Sue

overmind

• View Profile
    • Spirit-Self-Satisfaction
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 10:42:17 PM »
Hugh?!? What notifications??? The site seems to be working fine to me nothing jumps out to me as unusual so far. Well done Ron and to the servers, all the best for the tmarchive site!
Love Sue

Go to profile, highlight "Modify Profile" to see menu, and click on "Notifications". There is also a section on personal messages, which is where you enable the site to email you anything you receive.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:44:24 PM by overmind »
I wanted to sail, so the universe built me a galleon.

7inOcean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 11:53:37 PM »
Oh thank you Overmind, I did not know that, I'll check this out with my more computer savvy hubby who can help me on these features!  Goodness, there's so many features I'll have to get familiar with! Once again thanks so much for your help in navigating the site and it's handy features.
Cheers!
Sue

Jack_French

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 04:33:29 PM »
Ron
The new server is really faster 

The menus to change the font size and color work OK
Great Job !
My gospel – the Fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man...

Dan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 11:13:25 AM »
Are you getting post notifications that a post you have asked to be notified by email are not coming to you?

Glad you asked, I haven't received any notifications since the move. The notification feature has been  a really efficient way for me to keep track of new threads and posts to those without actually going to the forum. Maybe I will have to reset all my notifications, it's just that are about 25+ forum categories  and at least that many individual threads I have marked for notification so I have been putting it off.
Now, mistake not, my Father will ever respond to the faintest flicker of faith (155.6.17)

Minneapolis, MN

Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 01:25:15 PM »
Yes, Dan, and neither do I get notified.  We had a lot of discussion with the group that moved us, and what it boils down to is there is software code in the background of the discussion forum they have to either install or flip a switch in it to get to work again.  They are not sure how to get to it, and while I know it exists, I cannot work with something I just do not understand how to work it.

About a half dozen emails from the group to me indicates they have to find someone on staff who knows how to code PHP, and PHP is a particular way to code software.  Some people are well trained in it, and most working IT today prefer other avenues of coding, and it just happens the people I asked to help with me on this do not know PHP.  I do not quite know where this stands with them, but it is really inconvenient for people like us who save time with receiving notifications to learn when nothing important is going on, or something else is happening we can first read about and click to get into it rather than wait to go to the site and happen to find it otherwise.  We will keep working on it too.  I am sorry for the inconvenience it causes you too.

Below I copied from Wikipedia there discussion about PHP.  If you are like me, even after reading it, I still do not really understand it.
Ron

PHP  Wikipedia      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP

PHP is a server-side scripting language designed for web development but also used as a general-purpose programming language. Originally created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1994,[3] the PHP reference implementation is now produced by The PHP Group.[4] PHP originally stood for Personal Home Page,[3] but it now stands for the recursive backronym PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor.[5]

PHP code may be embedded into HTML code, or it can be used in combination with various web template systems, web content management system and web frameworks. PHP code is usually processed by a PHP interpreter implemented as a module in the web server or as a Common Gateway Interface (CGI) executable. The web server combines the results of the interpreted and executed PHP code, which may be any type of data, including images, with the generated web page. PHP code may also be executed with a command-line interface (CLI) and can be used to implement standalone graphical applications.[6]

The standard PHP interpreter, powered by the Zend Engine, is free software released under the PHP License. PHP has been widely ported and can be deployed on most web servers on almost every operating system and platform, free of charge.[7]

The PHP language evolved without a written formal specification or standard until 2014, leaving the canonical PHP interpreter as a de facto standard. Since 2014 work has been ongoing to create a formal PHP specification.[8]

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 03:33:05 PM »
Hello Ron,
Outside of my knowledge but did find this.
Mentions using SMTP. I suggest pass this to your group.
(Acronym is not spiritual related, instead relates to the most simple email/messaging protocol - ref wiki.)

using-
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=notifications&domains=simplemachines.org&sitesearch=simplemachines.org&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=5Y6_VpWrA4GV0gT42LB4

found this-
"The error means your host has disabled PHP's mail function. You basically have three options:

Switch SMF to use SMTP instead (may not work - depends on whether they've also disabled fsockopen())
Contact your host and ask them to re-enable it
Switch to a better host (if your current host isn't willing to re-enable it and SMTP doesn't work)."

above sourced in this thread posted by Simple Machines team lead developer-
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=445967.0

THANK YOU, JIM, I shot them a copy of your above post a few minutes ago - Ron

Hope this helps.
Domsha, Jim
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:28:55 PM by Ron Besser »
"It's life Jim but not as you know it....."
   ~ Mait'Eliflik

Dan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 10:40:49 AM »
Yes, Dan, and neither do I get notified.  We had a lot of discussion with the group that moved us, and what it boils down to is there is software code in the background of the discussion forum they have to either install or flip a switch in it to get to work again.  They are not sure how to get to it, and while I know it exists, I cannot work with something I just do not understand how to work it.

I'm sure you will figure it out Ron, don't lose any sleep over it on my account. I can manually check for new posts till your able solve the problem.
Now, mistake not, my Father will ever respond to the faintest flicker of faith (155.6.17)

Minneapolis, MN

Dan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 06:49:03 AM »
It's working again started getting notifications Thursday evening.

Minneapolis, MN

Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 10:23:28 AM »
Hi Dan,

Yes, same here Dan.  We held our breath and the group that is moving our sites to new servers provided a new man who knew something about software we are using for the discussion forum.  Nothing like using people who know the landscape.  Our next big move and likely a problem is to move tmarchive.org to a new server.  They are already finding while they can move it, the site does not want to work on the new server.  That is likely the headache we all worry about where the server is not built for the kind of site we are running.  That is maybe easy to say, but Microsoft builds their servers one way, Apple builds them another, and sometimes the code that puts a web site to be seen doesn't  cooperate.  This is another one I am holding my breath on.  Thank you for the feed back!   Ron

bradcooke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 07:55:52 PM »
Hi All! The fun and games of the technology! But IT was given to us for divine purposes...think on it! In the years to come, it will develop exponentially...hang on for the ride...lol!
Seriously, it all pales in comparison to the info we are learning on this site...thanks to all..special thanks to RonB for his fortitude, and patience! Thanks Ron!
The Glory of God is Intelligence...