Author Topic: A Poem for Today: O Day of Peace  (Read 403 times)

Offline SongatSunrise

• View Profile
A Poem for Today: O Day of Peace
« on: June 27, 2021, 06:06:14 pm »
Hello Everyone!
Here is a hymn for you from the Methodist Hymnal Page 729 which I did today for a congregational participation song.  I hope to bring everyone's awareness to think of the real possibility of Jesus' return. 

Ron here:  Carole here is a performance of it with lyrics played along with the choir.  R
https://youtu.be/V6ONR20SnZY

O Day Of Peace That Dimly shines

Music: Charles Hubert Hastings Parry 1916
Words: Carl Daw 1982

O day of peace that dimly shines
through all our hopes and prayers and dreams,
Guide us to justice, truth and love,
Delivered from our selfish schemes.

May swords of hate fall from our hands,
Our hearts from envy find release,
Till by God's grace our warring world
Shall see Christs promised reign of peace.

Then shall the wolf dwell with the lamb,
Nor shall the fierce devour the small,
As beasts and cattle calmly graze,
A little child shall lead them all.

Then enemies shall learn to love,
All creatures find their true accord,
The hope of peace shall be fulfilled,
For all the earth shall know the Lord.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 10:22:46 pm by Ron Besser »

Online Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A Poem for Today: O Day of Peace
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 10:53:09 pm »
The Russian Navy dances up a storm after we are all rested to just enjoy a really good and synchronized athletic chorus line in perfection.
Just have fun with this one if you can!
Ron
https://youtu.be/K21yj2lEgrA

Located in Historic York, Pennsylvania

Online Moses Ouko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 11:58:07 pm »
Hello SongatSunrise,
Thank you for this hymn it holds true today and actually points to the time of the second return and the far,far distant future of Light and Life on Urantia. Here is what influenced the composer and what he said about peace;

https://www.umcdiscipleship.org/resources/history-of-hymns-o-day-of-peace-that-dimly-shines

Dr. Daw was influenced in his composition by the book Turning to Christ by Urban T. Holmes III, one of his seminary professors. Carlton Young, UM Hymnal editor, notes that “[Dr. Daw’s] attention was drawn to Isaiah 11:6-8, and the heart of the hymn [focused on] the peaceable kingdom, paradise regained.” The second stanza was drawn from this prophetic passage of Scripture.

Dr. Daw describes his thinking about the hymn: “This hymn deals with two aspects of peace: pax, an understanding of peace based on the cessation of conflict, and shalom, the condition of living abundantly in harmony and mutual goodwill. . . . Although this hymn affirms that peace is always God’s gift, it also recognizes the importance of human responsibility in preparing an environment in which peace can flourish.

Love and Blessings,
Moses

Online Moses Ouko

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 12:04:26 am »
Hi Ron,
This Russian ballet is something else. 
The choreography, the precision and the energy are all on another level. 
I enjoyed it. It’s a good piece. Thank you.

Love and Blessings,
Moses

Online prozonov

• MSN Messenger - prozonov@mail.ru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 02:42:47 am »
Thanks, Ron. The Soviet people suffered the most in the Second World War. Russians don't want war. But, as it is sung in our song from the last century: “We are peaceful people, but our armored train is on a side track,” that is, we are always ready to give a crushing rebuff to any aggressor. We will not allow anyone to violate the state border of Russia.

Спасибо, Рон. Советский народ больше всех пострадал во второй мировой войне. Русские не хотят войны. Но, как поется в нашей песни из прошлого века: «Мы мирные люди, но наш бронепоезд стоит на запасном пути», то есть мы всегда готовы дать сокрушительный отпор любому агрессору. Государственную границу России не позволим нарушать никому.

Online Clency

• MSN Messenger - klenn47@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 11:12:49 am »
As far as I can remember, the only song that has crossed the borders of Russia and which has been taken over by various artists around the world is Casatschok of Dimitri Dourakine. This was the first time I became acquainted with Russian culture, it was a great pleasure.
I am your servant, I am your liegeman, it is my will that your will be done.