Author Topic: Church bells  (Read 294 times)

Online roger krupa

• All I have learned is love, and love is all.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Church bells
« on: May 25, 2020, 07:35:58 pm »
As I was walking home at six this evening the old church bells started playing a beautiful melody.  As I was listening, enraptured, a truck went by.  Then a motorcycle followed by a car that definitely needs the services of a muffler shop.  I came to reflect on how the world was when those bells were first installed.  The only traffic noise one was likely to hear would be the clop, clop, clop of horses hooves.  People could hear those bells and the message of hope in the melody.  Now people are barraged with noise.  I don't just mean vibrations in the air, but also unrest in the mind.  We are so caught up in the petty things of this world and our supposed needs that we can't spare the attention to hear the music.  Perhaps it would be nice if both gasoline and gunpowder stopped working.  Just some thoughts.
Domtia
If people treated each other as they would like to be treated we would have heaven on earth.

Online Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Church bells
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 12:43:52 am »
Nicely done Roger.  I think of the same thing all the time and lament the issue of constant broadcasting and traffic noise 24 hours a day.  I live on a small urban roadway called Sunset Lane.  My mailbox of course is at the curb of this road, and I walk down a driveway to get the mail and open the mail box to do so from the back as it has a back door so you do not have to stand out in the road to get your mail.
It never fails, I am standing there to retrieve my mail and traffic zooms by and the pressure wave at the curb from traffic in the lane next to the box rocks me everytime a care goes by.  Stand there and the motor and the tires rasp at you and the pressure wave presses one back on the heels slightly.  I rather have lots of dandelions in the lawn than have to take this ugliness 24/7 so people can quickly get home and watch Netflix or play computer games. 

Our Internet is so jammed you wait for service on it and email is clogged with me getting about 100 a day from replacement window adverts, or do I want to buy night vision googles?  I have zero enjoyment, and no,  the church bells do not even ring here anymore so as you can hear them now, at least in this part of urban America.

There is nothing like a heavy snow storm to shut traffic off and keep appliances from running all around the yards here because in a good heavy snow storm they cannot keep up with the amount coming down and so do not bother.  It is lovely and quiet and often quite beautiful too and is one of my favorite things to immerse myself in all warm and incapable of shoveling it at all now.  Some kids bought an old plow to do my drive and they always show up long after the surprise snow stopped falling.  then the noise starts all over again.  But I do have to get out  . . . .  that is noise with a capacity to save the day none the less.

Great thoughts Roger.

Ron

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 12:45:25 am by Ron Besser »
Located in Historic York, Pennsylvania

Offline 7inOcean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 07:59:50 am »
I agree Roger. Somehow you sent me back in time to the days of living near the church in my country hometown where I remember hearing the church bells as a young child, it was nice and nostalgic to have the flashback. Today though I live on a busy arterial road and it is now getting back to the busy noisy street. During the government COVID-19 restrictions every one was advised to stay home and the road noise ground to a near halt and it was rather nice and quiet but it was short lived as the days went by and people went to the shops for supplies and so on, so the noise was persistent. I sure hope that the invention of quiet air plasm charged vehicles** can be utilised and the streets can be quieter with automated vehicles so as to make the road a quieter and safer place. I think the days when the earth changes come much of this noise driven society will most likely be changed or gone. Maybe the horses will come back for a while until the way things can be done better be made in light of what is left. 

Ron, I do not get snow in winter as you do over in the States but yeah that is a nice change when people have to mostly stay inside to keep warm. Here in Oz we do not have snow unless in the high mountain areas of the Snowy Mountains which is the only place that it falls and that means everywhere else is pretty much unaffected and green. Life goes on as normal and so does the noise of civilisation keep up. It is a long way for me to hear church bells and it's been some years since I heard them. Life is so caught up with the daily grind of work, home, food shopping and then repeat the cycle again under the restrictions we live with. Soon these restrictions will ease and more people will get out and about. For now we still have to remain safe and keep up the good effort of social distancing, hand hygiene and maintain our vigilance with the contact tracing app the Australian government encouraged every citizen to have on their mobile phones. So far Australia has done well with keeping the cases low due to the border shutdowns and community restrictions for the last couple of months. For a while there it was scary but now it seems to be going in the direction the government is happy with so far. 

Thank you Roger for bringing up this even though it is such a difficult one when the circus keeps going on and very little attention is given to pause to take in the moment the bells ring when it does. So often it happens and it becomes a fleeting moment in the hustle and bustle of daily living. It is nice to pause and take it in and appreciate the sounds. I remember a friend I know who showed me how those bells get rung with the ropes they pull in a certain way, with skill and timing as well. There was more to it than I realised at the time as I watched how it was done with a few on the ropes and there were more than one bell to be rung. And what sound it was when I saw the skill put into managing the high ropes inside the bell tower. That forever impressed me as to the moment I hear bells ringing and I know now what it takes to make them sound so well. God bless the ringers of the bells! I can imagine the time when Jesus does make his appearance, those bells will be ringing loud and clear in such harmonious melody to herald a new age that He brings. God bless Michael, the Magisterial Sons, our Planetary Manager and the Divine Team who are to work with the Magisterial Mission for Urantia. I think with all the assistance now available with  the Federation of Exelon, the course of Urantia will be in safe hands as Michael of Nebadon is now given the greater resources to handle and to remove the Lucifer Rebellion. May our prayers be with all those who are to be involved in the Father’s way for Urantia and for all the other planets so affected by rebellion. May we be free from this rebellion and be moved on into greener pastures to learn from our Master Teachers.

Sue/7inOcean

**see link: https://scitechdaily.com/microwave-air-plasma-thruster-fossil-fuel-free-jet-propulsion/

Online Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 09:47:57 am »
Do you know that it is in Great Britain they name their bells?  In a Lord Peter Wimsey mystery story called The Nine Tailors.  It is book number 11 on this web site.

https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Peter-Wimsey-Mysteries-Book/dp/B014F6DDB2

The nine tailors are the 9 bells hung in this church.  The point I am making is that they as a team in the church memorized how to ring the bells in celebration utilizing all 9 bells to do the trick.  Peter Wimsey, a WWI shell shocked aristocrat solves murder crimes and more, and when he arrives because of a motor accident problem near the church they passed nearby, he is given supper and an invitation to ring the bells.  Now the bells have to be rung in a precise order, and he had to be taught which rope to pull and when, and these bells all had the name of Tailor but personal names after that such a Big Tailor or George Tailor or Victoria, and you learned the sequence of how these personal names stood in line to ring a celebration.

This particular night Lord Peter Wimsey enjoyed stepping into the role of a bell ringer at midnight, for this was the nine hours bell ringing episode that welcome a brand new Year to the world--  New Years Eve.  The nine hour bell ringing story is precisely given by the author of these mysteries, and I have an old video tape of the story too, and Dorothy  Sayors, a true expert on medieval history I might add, walks you through the sequence with bell names and all.  Read it for a history lesson on the ways to entertain the countryside with expert bell ringing as Peter Wimsey actually solves a gruesome murder by recounting who rang which bells on the team, and how something was not quite right on the night of the murder about how those bells were rung.   These Peter Wimsey mysteries are really great reading and so well written too!  Dorothy Sayers knew the histories of illuminated manuscripts and was consulted all the time by libraries around the world on authenticity and finds of these beautiful book works of nearly a millennia ago in the churches that rang bells then too.  The first Christian Church to hang a bell was in 400AD, so there with an unknown fact I picked up reading these web sites.

Just shared this for your information.

RON
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:16:27 pm by Ron Besser »
Located in Historic York, Pennsylvania

Offline Wenebojo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 10:33:55 am »
Ron, I return to work today after 2 and a half month absence. I wish I could have contributed more during all that free time with more transmissions. But I am going to set aside my mornings to be available for the voices of God. If they would like to share. I won't be able to catch your tuesday afternoon LightLines, but I will always listen to the tapes afterwards. Take care until we can communicate again.
Wenebojo

Offline prozonov

• MSN Messenger - prozonov@mail.ru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 12:11:23 pm »
May 26, 2020, Samara, local time at 19:50.

Accept our message.

A divine mission will soon begin to work on Urantia. You who receive our messages need to work more carefully and responsibly for the mission and the Father. Keep your promise and be always ready to receive our message and get to work. The necessary recommendations will be given to you.

Spend more time communicating with God with the adjusters, engage in dialogue with them, constantly pray and do not engage in nonsense.

We all see and know everything about you, but you have free will in making decisions, it is good if these decisions will meet the will of God, and not your will. Father really counts on your help in these difficult and coming times.

Talk to us, communicate with us and let it be your personal LIGHTLINE...

26 мая 2020 года, Самара, местное время19.50.
Прими наше сообщение.
Божественная миссия скоро начнет работать на Урантии. Вам, кто принимает наши сообщения надо более внимательно и ответственно работать для миссии и Отца. Держите свое обещание и будьте всегда готовы принять наше сообщение и приступить к работе. Необходимые рекомендации вам будут даны.
Больше времени уделяйте общению с Богом с настройщиками, ведите с ними диалог, постоянно молитесь и не занимайтесь ерундой.
Мы все видим и все знаем о вас, но у вас есть свободная воля в принятии решений, хорошо, если эти решения будут отвечать воли Бога, а не вашей воле. Отец очень рассчитывает на вашу помощь в эти трудные и предстоящие времена.
Говорите с нами, общайтесь с нами и пусть это будет ваша персональная световая линия…

Online Clency

• MSN Messenger - klenn47@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 12:52:04 pm »

Among all bells churches in the world, there are none compared with those of Notre Dame de Paris, where I have been working for some years, before the cathedral was caught up in a wildfire in April 2019. There were eight bells in the north tower and two others in the south, all weighing between 767 kg and 13 tonnes, and they are named after an Archangel or a Saint. They are called "bourdon" in french and they are tuned to F and G sharp. The biggest “bourdon”, called Emmanuel, weighing 13 tones (see image below) and tuned to F sharp “has accompanied major historical events, such as the coronation of French kings, papal visits and the end of conflicts, such as WW I&II (source Wikipedia). I have had the honor to listen to the bells (les bourdons) all together at once during a special catholic celebration - my memory fails me here, I don’t remember on what occasion - but to my ears, it was a festival of sounds and today they are all muted, no one knows for how long. Domtia
I am your servant, I am your liegeman, it is my will that your will be done.