Author Topic: 10-05-2022 The Meaning of Yom Kippur  (Read 256 times)

Online SongatSunrise

• View Profile
10-05-2022 The Meaning of Yom Kippur
« on: October 05, 2022, 12:53:17 pm »
2022-10-05 8-30
Good morning All!

It is a beautiful day today. . . but we need rain. The whole front yard is dead. Not a drop since August 2nd.

Today is Yom Kippur. It is an exotic name for an old festival, noted by fasting and prayer.

As the Israelites were journeying in the wilderness after they crossed the Jordan River, they came to mountains that had a pass between them, Mount Ebal and Mount Gerizim. It was an important juncture in their journey. Moses told the people, Thus says the Lord, This day I set before you good and evil, life and death. Therefore, choose life, that both you and your descendants may live! (Deut. 30:19).

Joshua said As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!. (Joshua 24:15)

The day of Yom Kippur is significant because it highlights the spiritual importance of free will, that of choosing. Choosing life is not the easy way, but it is the best way. God said, Why would you die, O Israel?

Many times the Israelites did not choose the right way, and were overcome by enemies.
The ceremonies of Yom Kippur highlighted two goats. One was set apart, and the Priest laid on it all the sins of the people, and the goat was led to the wilderness and set free to roam till its death.

The other goat was an offering, sacrificed for the people. It was "sin" offering. It was burned, not eaten. (Numbers 29:11)

Years later, the notion of an atonement offering was attached to the death of Jesus and he was labeled "the Lamb of God". That notion was morphed into the ceremony of communion observed in the Christian churches today .

Jesus will have something to say about this later, but many people will have to lay down the baggage of their beliefs, customs and traditions, to frankly look at the real meaning of the day: That of choosing between evil or good. That spiritual choice involves truth, and the ways of spirit: love, joy and peace. Abandoning old ways that are destructive can be traumatic, but the outcome is healing.

The Father says, Why would you die? Choose life, that you may live! For I am a merciful God, "who heals all your diseases, who forgives all your iniquities. . ." (Ps.103:3) .

Take a look at the news. I think America and the world is facing such a decision TODAY. The traditions surrounding this day are not so important as the meaning.