Author Topic: Pronouncing Pleiades  (Read 5399 times)

Offline Lemuel

• The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
    • MSN Messenger - angelemuel@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pronouncing Pleiades
« on: October 17, 2022, 01:31:22 am »

Dear List, the word, Pleiades has four syllables. The three vowels should be

pronounced separately:  e  i  a    Ple i a des. The first is Pleh, and not Plee,

the next is  i  as in pee, next is  a,  as in apple, and the last is des.

Ple  i  a  des, with the accent on the third syllable  a.

Hope this helps.

Lemuel

Offline Clency

• MSN Messenger - klenn47@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pronouncing Pleiades
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 03:23:15 am »
Lemuel, this is also the right spelling in french. I am unable to make it in the York version way. In other languages, it must be different also, but anyway this is not the first time I hear about the Pleiades. I often time wanted to bring it on the table, but since it was not in the vocabulary of the forum, I refrained myself to talk about it.
I am your servant, I am your liegeman, it is my will that your will be done.

Offline Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pronouncing Pleiades
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 11:02:02 am »
The Pleiades spoke and tell me the following phonetic sounds are fine with them:

Plea Aids is the English sounds for how they refer to themselves to each other.   Plea Aides.  Lemuel I think we are saying it the same too.  Clency, the English use of the letters in a word shown as   e i a   is directly from the Latin without change into the English language.  Words like the name of that volcano  AETNA  sometimes get reported as ETNA in newspapers  otherwise Americans unless they know better pronounce it  as  AH Etna which is ridiculous and so unnatural but it just means you as a speaker of English do not understand that English, unlike French or German or Italian is a polyglot of many languages and there are no easy set rules how to angleisize what is really another language entirely.   Clency I always admire your ability to work with these languages.  I am a true mess and a dolt with languages and even I am challenged speaking the English language.  Really!  Thank you.  Ron
Located in Historic York, Pennsylvania