Author Topic: The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares  (Read 185 times)

Offline SongatSunrise

• View Profile
The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares
« on: July 18, 2020, 07:25:52 pm »
Hello, Everyone! Song At Sunrise here with a few thoughts about the Parable of the Wheat and the Tares. Here is what "tares" is:
TARES (Heb. זוּנִים, zunim), the darnel – Lolium temulentum, weed which grows among grain, particularly wheat. The grains resemble those of wheat so that it is very difficult to separate them by sifting, and as a result they are sown together with the wheat and grow with it in the field.

Tares. the bearded darnel, mentioned only in Matthew 13:25-30. It is the Lolium temulentum, a species of rye-grass, the seeds of which are a strong soporific poison. It bears the closest resemblance to wheat till the ear appears, and only then the difference is discovered. It grows plentifully in Syria and Palestine.

A soporific poison is one that makes you want to sleep, possibly resulting in death.

The Parable of the Wheat and Tares, remarkably, is not recorded in the Urantia Book. But the Book of Matthew records it, Chapter 13, verses 24 - 30, and explained in verses 36 - 43.

I want to share this parable with you, because it seems to refer strongly to the activities of the Supreme, and the awful outcome. Please allow me:

Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
 25But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
 26But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
 27So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
 28He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
 29But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
 30Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

36Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.
 37He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;
 38The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
 39The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
 40As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.
 41The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
 42And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
 43Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Some of you Forumites who may attend a church may possibly hear this tomorrow, because this is the reading for the day. The timing here is remarkable, with this subject being on our minds.

So the special music I plan on is "Come Ye Thankful People Come", verses 2, 3, and 4:

1 Come, ye thankful people, come, 
raise the song of harvest home; 
all is safely gathered in, 
ere the winter storms begin. 
God our Maker doth provide 
for our wants to be supplied; 
come to God's own temple, come, 
raise the song of harvest home. 

2 All the world is God's own field, 
fruit as praise to God we yield; 
wheat and tares together sown 
are to joy or sorrow grown; 
first the blade and then the ear, 
then the full corn shall appear; 
Lord of harvest, grant that we 
wholesome grain and pure may be. 

3 For the Lord our God shall come,
and shall take the harvest home; 
from the field shall in that day 
all offenses purge away, 
giving angels charge at last 
in the fire the tares to cast; 
but the fruitful ears to store 
in the garner evermore. 

4 Even so, Lord, quickly come,
bring thy final harvest home; 
gather thou thy people in, 
free from sorrow, free from sin, 
there, forever purified, 
in thy presence to abide; 
come, with all thine angels, come, 
raise the glorious harvest home.

United Methodist Hymnal, 1989
Forumites -- friends on the Forum, Remember the good things you already know.

Offline Ron Besser

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 08:30:37 pm »
Carole this is most inspirational and I studied it for its soundings very well.  I happen to agree it is most appropriate and yet I never thought of it.  I am very glad you did.

My post about the hackthon is available under another thread somewhere here, and I point out in that post the sheer utter madness we hear daily from those who should know better, but never stop pleading the case for more TARES in their cereal of plenty.

I am fully and rightfully disgusted over the behavior of the hackers and the UAI thinking this is the kind of thing to promote in the midst of a pandemic and a rebellion in spirit that has utterly destroyed the nourishment of the  5th epochal revelation much as the weed in the wheat has done to tribes of Israel and the United States as well.  Thank you for our mortal lesson this day.

RON
Located in Historic York, Pennsylvania